Junior Partner, Shanghai
We are looking for a new team member to join our growing management consultancy in Shanghai. This is a development role for people at the beginning of their career in sustainability consulting.
With offices in London and Shanghai, we are 30 people strong and do innovative and worthwhile work, helping companies become more sustainable.
We offer a competitive salary, friendly and diverse colleagues, and an office-culture that prizes flexibility and creative thinking.
About us – Carnstone
Carnstone is a management consultancy specialising in ESG and sustainability. From our offices in London and Shanghai we serve a global client base of big companies and international organisations like the UN. We have been in business for over 15 years, establishing a reputation for being great at what we do. Everything we do is bespoke, and that is reflected in how we think and work.
Our work covers a huge range of interrelated topics: from supplier management to community investment, from climate change to corporate governance, from human rights to investor relations.
Our Shanghai office was established in 2014 to serve the growing market for companies embedding sustainability in their Asian operations and value chains. The team has been growing steadily, and we are looking for someone who has a true passion for the sector, who is interested in growing with the company, and can deliver high quality work on a consistent basis.
The job is at our ‘Junior Partner’ level. Usually with a fresh experience within the industry, Junior Partners are the fastest learners at Carnstone. JPs will be responsible for specific tasks, often behind the scenes, but in return, they have an amazing opportunity to acquire vast amounts of knowledge about sectors and topics in a short amount of time. It’s a role that offers a lot of opportunities for professional development. As a JP, you will be working directly with clients and senior colleagues on a daily basis, both within China and overseas.
You will be based in our Shanghai office but work closely with colleagues in London and with client teams. We work on a wide variety of projects, from forestry to climate change, from labour standards to ESG reporting; and across multiple sectors, including: retail, fashion, publishing, automotive and pharmaceutical. That makes our work incredibly varied and interesting, and it means we are always learning.
One day you may be conducting research on deforestation in South East Asia, the next visiting a garment factory to talk to workers, and the next working with a project team to help a client understand their greenhouse gas emissions across their supply chain.
What we are looking for
• Good general understanding and proven interest in corporate responsibility and sustainability;
• Minimum one-year relevant experience in one or more aspects of sustainability; or experience in general business but with proven interest in sustainability.
• Curiosity and persistence in equal measures;
• Comfortable working in a commercial environment with big businesses across many sectors, able to perform in a professional manner;
• Ownership of tasks, have a problem-solving mindset and see to good results;
• Has good attention to detail and can deliver work to a high standard;
• Open-minded, real willingness to learn and to be challenged;
• Self-motivated and able to manage your own workload (plan, priorities, etc.);
• Confident and engaging, able to mingle with teammates in both China and the UK;
• Empathy, a good listener, and able to put themselves into other peoples’ shoes.
• Has a quick mind, able to assimilate and process information, good research skill;
• Ability to communicate well when presenting, writing and speaking;
• Good levels of numeracy and an ability to write clearly and concisely, changing your style as required for different readers;
• An undergraduate degree or higher in any subject that enables evidence-based work approach and analytical thinking on sustainability/industry topics;
• Excellent command of IT and ability to use technical skills for maximum impact for clients and;
• Fluency in English and native speaker of Mandarin Chinese.
We offer a competitive package consisting of:
• A competitive salary within the local sustainability consultancy market;
• Social insurances and housing fund paid in Shanghai based on actual salary;
• A central Shanghai office in Xuhui District close to major commuting routes;
• 20 days a year paid annual leave plus paid time off on public holidays;
• 6 volunteering days a year to work with a charity of your choice;
• Group medical insurance scheme with reimbursement of both in-patient and out-patient medical fees (life and critical illness insurance covered).
Why work at Carnstone?
Our working environment is friendly and creative. We are energetic and smart. We aim for a culture where you can bring your whole self to work and act with authenticity all day long. And we do really great work which we love and which – ultimately – helps huge companies to be more sustainable.
We know that our employees are the most productive when they have a work-life balance. That’s why we embrace flexibility as a company and support our team in making the most of their careers with us through our flexible working arrangements.
For more information about who we are, the work we do and our clients, please visit our website at http://carnstone.com.
Applications will be reviewed as they come in and telephone interviews will be arranged. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to face-to-face interviews at our Shanghai office with GM/ Deputy GM (and potentially one of our Senior Partners joining online).
Please send your cover letter in the body of your email, not as a separate attachment.
How to apply
Please send your CV together with a covering letter to Miaomiao Li at email@example.com by the 2nd September 2022. We’ll be interviewing the right candidates as we receive the CVs. Ideally, the successful candidate will be able to start within the next few months, but we can be patient for the right person.
Unsure? Please apply! Carnstone has a great team, and we have a great team because we’re all different. We don’t always know what we’re looking for in colleagues until we see it and it could well be you.